#30. Professor Simon Chadwick - THE GEOPOLITICAL ECONOMY IMPACT ON THE SPORT INDUSTRY
This episode is bound to leave you with a fresh perspective and a deeper understanding of the powerful interplay between sports and global affairs.
Professor Simon Chadwick is an international specialist in Sports and Geopolitical Economy. He is a researcher, writer, academic, consultant, policy advisor, and speaker, with more than twenty-five years experience in the global sport industry.
Currently, he is a Professor of Sport and Geopolitical Economy at Skema Business School in Paris. He is also a member of Skema's think tank, Publika, and serves as the Programme Director of Skema's Global Executive MBA in Sport. Simon has previously co-founded and directed prestigious Sport Business Centres and has authored various articles, books, and research reports.
Get ready for an eye-opening episode as we explore the dynamic landscape of the global sports industry. Today, we have the privilege of hearing from Professor Simon Chadwick, a true authority on the subject. He will shed light on the ever-changing geopolitical dynamics and the influential emergence of new players in this fascinating realm. Additionally, Simon will delve into how countries and regions strategically leverage sports to advance their broader political and economic objectives.
You can find his new book entitled “The Geopolitical Economy of Sport. Power, Politics, Money, and the State” here: https://bit.ly/3W3edxV
WHAT CAN YOU LEAR TODAY:
- How geopolitical factors impact the sports industry, influencing decision-making, actions, and power dynamics within the industry.
- The power shifts between Europe, United Stages, Middle East countries and more with concrete examples
- The importance of nation branding and soft power concepts in global sports
- Learn from the Formula 1 example to express international shifts
- “Politics it's part of sports DNA”
- “Many actors are investing in different ways to try to create a new world order in sports tech”
- “The perception of Sportswashing depends if you are in Paris, in Dubai or in Beijing. It depends on the lens through which you see the world”
- "European sport is a battleground for Americans and people from elsewhere in the world"